Friday, November 7, 2008

So Many Choices

As I've said, I'm not a radical locavore, and I try to take a pragmatic but responsible approach the prospect of shopping, cooking or dining, and eating. I don't qualify for sainthood and I'm not interested in applying. I thought I'd explain some of the recommended links I've posted over on the sidebar...you know, to your right.

I try to buy local, and I try to buy organic. If I have to choose between local and organic, I buy local -- the food has traveled less, will keep longer, and I'm contributing to the local economy. I try to cook seasonally -- that will become more difficult as we head into the winter, although I will be experimenting with food storage and preservation next year -- but if what I need isn't produced locally, I at least try to buy it locally.

Arnold's Meats does not guarantee it has organic, grass-fed beef and free-range chicken. However, it's an independently-owned, old-school butcher, the last of a dying industry, at least for the mass market vs. artisan meat purveyors; they offer great service, bulk cuts, and excellent prices; they're convenient to my workplace. Foster's Market also falls into this category -- they have a knowledgable butcher, and terrific customer service. I will always choose Arnold's and Foster's over Stop & Shop. Great, organic grass-fed meat is available at the Co-op, at the Farmer's Market in season, and at Whole Foods, and I buy this when I can -- again, putting local businesses first. However, in a pinch...yep, we go to Stop & Shop...but 85% of our monthly grocery dollars are spent at local businesses.

There aren't any local wineries to speak of, but I buy just about everything I can from Melissa at the Wine Rack in Greenfield.

Most of our dining out dollars are spent at the establishments listed to the right, which use local ingredients as much as possible (The People's Pint most consistently), although during busy weeks we pick up a pizza or Chinese food from our favorite local takeout places.

We're lucky to have a great knife manufacturer and outlet, Lamson & Goodnow, and an exceptional kitchen store, Different Drummer's Kitchen, within an all-too-convenient distance. But if I'm looking for something specific, and need a variety of goods, I also order "in bulk" from Amazon.com.

I'm sure I've missed out on plenty of great local establishments -- please comment or email, and tell me what I've missed!

No comments: